Designed by legendary Lockheed Skunk Works Chief, Clarence “Kelly” Johnson, the two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft. It was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage about three feet to accommodate a second cockpit.
Originally designated the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight in 1948. The aircraft’s designation was officially changed to T-33 in May 1949. Production continued until 1959 with 5,691 T-33s built. In addition to its use as a trainer, the T-33 has been used for such tasks as drone director and target towing, and in some countries even as a combat aircraft. The RT-33A, a reconnaissance version made primarily for use by foreign countries, had a camera installed in the nose and additional equipment in the rear cockpit.
The T-33 is one of the world’s best-known aircraft, having served with the air forces of more than 20 different nations over several decades.
The Canadair CT-133 Silver Star
The first of twenty Lockheed built T-33As (the Silver Star Mark 1), were delivered on loan to the RCAF two years later, followed by tenmore aircraft. On 13 September 1951, Canadair signed a license agreement with Lockheed to build T-33 aircraft for the RCAF. Thisversion, the CL-30, (or the T-33ANX by Lockheed and the USAF), was to be powered by an uprated 5,100 lbs. thrust Nene 10 engine licensed by Rolls Royce, supplied by Orenda Ltd. (USAF T-33’s were powered by Allison J-33 turbojets with 4,600 lbs. thrust), The RCAF designated the aircraft as CT-133 Silver Star Mk 3. Several versions were produced for functions such as pilot training, armament training, photo-reconnaissance, electronic warfare, and ejection seat testing.
Initially, 576 aircraft were ordered, but a total of 656 aircraft would be delivered to the RCAF between 1952 and 1959. In 1993-1994 many Mk 3’s went through an Avionics Update Program (AUP), where the 1950’s vintage avionics were replaced with modern equipment. All the wiring in the aircraft were replaced as well.
Our T-33 is painted in the markings of a Strategic Air Command (SAC) 43rd Bomb Wing T-33 support aircraft. The 43rd BW flew B-58 Hustlers while stationed at Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, TX and set many world speed records during that time. The original civilian owner, Dennie Darnell was a USAF Veteran who was stationed at Carswell and worked on B-58 life support equipment. He also served two tours in Vietnam as a Pararescue Jumper (PJ) rescuing downed pilots.
History of CT-133 Mk. 3 (AUP) S/N 133165 N165KK
1953: Built by Canadair in Montreal and delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) CFB Comox, B.C. Base Flight
1982: Assigned to 414 Squadron at CFB Comox, BC,
1995: Assigned to Aerospace Engineering and Test Establishment (AETE), CFB Cold Lake, Alberta
2002: Retired from service, stored at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta
2006: Purchased in Canadian government auction for $23,800.00
2009: Ferried from CFB Cold Lake, to CFB Trenton then to its new base the Vintage Flying Museum Fort Worth, Texas
2012- 2015: Bill Gorin and his son, Brian accomplished the airworthiness inspection and repairs necessary to be issued a U.S.
4/9/2015: U.S. Special Airworthiness Certificate (Experimental) is issued
• Engine: One Rolls Royce Nene 10 Turbojet (5,100 lb. Thrust)
• Empty Gross Weight: 9,312 lbs.
• Maximum Gross Weight: 16,800 lbs.
• Wing Span: 42 ft. 5 in.
• Length: 37 ft. 8.6 in.
• Height: 11 ft. 8 in.
• Maximum Speed: 505 Kts./0.8 Mach
• Ceiling: 47,000 ft.
• Range: 1,300 miles w/ tip tanks
• Crew: 2