The Piaggio P.136 was an Italian twin-engine amphibian flying-boat, with an all-metal hull, pusher propellers, a gull wing, and retractable landing gear. The prototype first flew in late 1948, and completed certification tests in spring 1949. The Italian Air Force contracted 14 P.136s for coastal patrol and air-sea rescue. The aircraft was marketed in the United States as the Royal Gull, by Kearney and Trecker. Trecker received three aircraft, and components for another 29, but they also built a few on their own, under license. Aristotle Onasis owned a Royal Gull. It was referred to as the “Rolls Royce of amphibians”.
The Vintage Flying Museum’s Royal Gull is serial number 214 and was purchased by Dr. William D. “Doc” Hospers in 1979. It was Doc’s favorite aircraft for many years until he was able to purchase his dream plane, a B-17 Flying Fortress.
- Twin-engine amphibian flying-boat
- Produced for The Italian Air Force
- Five-seat amphibian flying-boat, powered by two 201-kW (270-hp) Avco Lycoming GO-480-B piston engines
- Five-seat amphibian flying-boat, powered by two 254-kW (340-hp) Avco Lycoming GSO-480 piston engines
- Royal Gull
- Both the P.136-L1 and P.136-L2 were marketed with this name in the USA by the Kearney and Trecker Corporation
- Capacity: 5
- Length: 10.80 m (35 ft 5.25 in)
- Wingspan: 13.53 m (44 ft 4.75 in)
- Height: 3.83 m (12 ft 6.75 in)
- Empty weight: 2110 kg (4652 lb)
- Gross weight: 2995 kg (6603 lb)